Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bow Hunting

Archery hunting is a very difficult sport meant for some of the more experienced shooters. I like hunting deer and turkeys with a bow. In my opinion deer are easier to hunt then a turkey mainly because a turkey will catch any movement that you make. Some tricks for hunters that aren't good at sitting still for very long are hunting in a blind or high in a tree stand as long as your not scared of heights. Most people like to use the guillotine for a broad head but i don't mainly because you really cant practice with them and once you shoot them once they never shoot good again. I use the same broad head for turkeys as i use for deer on a turkey i aim just under the bottom of the neck. That way if the shot dropped or raised it would either decapitate the bird or it would hit a little low but it would still be kill shot. The reason I like hunting turkeys with a bow is very fun and you also don't lose any of the meat like you would if you made a bad shoot with a gun you would have a lot of bbs in the meat. For sights I use G5 sights with an adjustable range on them they have 4 pins. I have an accurate range at about 60 yards if it is a big bird but if its a smaller size but still a shooter my max is 40 yards. Those are a few tricks and things I use to bow hunt a turkey.



Now you can have a completely different approach on hunting deer or like me I use a lot of the same tactics. With deer you don't have to watch your movement very much but you have to worried more about your scent. But like I had said earlier I use the same broad heads on deer as I do turkeys. With deer you don't have to be as high in a tree or not even as close to put a good clean shot on the deer as you would a turkey that's because the deers kill zone is a good size. A recommended shot with a bow at a deer I would have to say is 60 yards which is a very far shot even for the most experienced shooters.

No comments:

Post a Comment